A recent study suggested that smoking is associated with an increased risk of COVID-19 symptoms and that smokers are more likely to be hospitalized than non-smokers.
Symptoms are more likely to occur in current smokers than non-smokers. Smokers were more likely to report more than five symptoms associated with COVID-19 and more than ten percent more likely to report damage, including odor, skipping, diarrhea, fatigue, confusion, or muscle pain. The greater number of symptoms suggested a more severe COVID-19.
We are well aware of the harmful effects of tobacco smoking – lung diseases, cancer. In this current scenario, it has been observed that people who smoke are more susceptible to complications, COVID-19 infection.
Also, read | Top 10 Food Items to Boost Immunity in COVID-19
How Does Corona Virus Affect Smokers?
Smokers are more likely to be at greater risk of COVID-19 because the act of smoking means that the fingers (and possibly contaminated cigarettes) are in contact with the lips which increases the likelihood of transmission of the virus from hand towards the mouth.
Smokers may already have lung disease as lung capacity decreases, smokers cough (COPD), which will increase the severity of the disease.
A condition that increases oxygen needs or reduces the body’s ability to use properly will put patients at higher risk of severe lung conditions such as pneumonia. Smoking is harmful to the immune system and is responsible for creating infections. That’s why smokers are more prone to infection.
As we all know that tobacco has a huge impact on respiratory health — it increases the risk of tuberculosis infection, an important risk factor for developing COPD (reduces lung capacity), a significant risk factor for lung cancer. COVID-19 mainly involves the respiratory system. Smokers are at high risk with COVID-19 related implications.
The researchers recommended that a smoking ending process strategy should be included as an element to address Covid-19, as smoking increased both the possibility of symptomatic disease and disease severity.
Reduction in smoking rates could also reduce the health system burden from other smoking-related conditions that require hospitalization. Trust me smokers and covid have very bad relations in this current scenario.
How Smoking Harms Our Immune System?
The Covid 19 viral strain straightforwardly impacts the lungs, lessening its ability and restricting the admission of oxygen, and prompting ARDS and pneumonia. It is especially deadly in individuals who have underlying illnesses, and respiratory complications or both and smoking makes the corona virus worse.
The examination has demonstrated that smoking and vaping detrimentally affect the respiratory capacity of the body, particularly the lungs. Indeed, even healthy people without any sicknesses like diabetes and hypertension will be in danger of succumbing to Covid 19 on the off chance that they are smokers or take part in vaping.
While vaping, the liquids utilized as stimulants in the vaping gadgets contain aldehydes and other chemical compounds which have been shown to destroy or adversely affect the cells in the respiratory tract.
As the respiratory tract in smoking, including the lungs, are exposed straightforwardly to the climate unlike to different organs; the danger of being affected is higher.
Smoking and vaping disable the safeguard system of the lungs, they diminish the immune system of the respiratory system, subsequently exposing the lungs to the vagaries of the environment that’s why smokers more vulnerable to contracting COVID-19.
Under these conditions, the lungs are effectively helpless to the infection as there is an absence of safeguard to prevent its entrance. The FDA has recently ascertained that vaping will build the dangers related to Covid 19 and health experts have suggested that youth who vape are being hospitalized with severe COVID-19 infections, due to their already impaired lung function.
While the damage is difficult to reverse, new research published in Respiratory Medicine has found that people with mild to moderate chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) have achieved normalization of lung function decline within a year of quitting. Even for people with severe COPD, the rate of decline was halved after one year of non-smoking.
15 Benefits Of Quitting Smoking In Covid-19 Pandemic
- Smoking causes your blood vessels to constrict, and within 24 hours of stumbling that last butt, the constriction begins to loosen. Blood pressure, pulse rate, and body temperature begin to return to normal levels.
- Carbon monoxide levels also fall, and your blood oxygen levels also begin to return to normal, and importantly, your risk of heart attack starts to decrease.
- The taste of food starts to improve as your taste buds and odor/smell receptors recover.
- Damaged nerve cells also begin to recover, but the addictive cycle remains difficult. This is usually the hardest time for cravings, but those cravings begin to subside as the nicotine receptors in your brain begin to change, and within a month, nicotine receptors drop to a normal level.
- Within one month of stopping smoking, the cravings become simpler to manage, and the danger for hearing loss and vision damage decrease.
- The teeth become more white and the skin begins to heal from premature aging and wrinkling.
- Your danger of coronary disease and stroke likewise lessen and you may see it’s simpler to stroll up the steps as the lungs fix themselves.
- Truth be told, one of the principal things to recuperate in the body is cilia, small, finger-like projections in your respiratory tract. Healthy cilia help you fight off colds, infections, and contaminations, so you may see you’re not becoming ill as regularly.
- The danger for coronary illness drops to a large portion of that of current smokers, and lung function will have reached near-normal levels if you have mild to moderate COPD. DNA harm stops and a portion of the harm to the DNA even starts to recuperate.
- During the first year of quitting smoking, your danger of diabetes likewise diminishes.
- For ladies, estrogen levels step by step recover to business as usual, and men bring down their odds of erectile dysfunction.
- Before the finish of the primary year, the vast majority likewise find that they recuperate from wounds and sicknesses quicker because of typical white platelet tallies and improved bloodstream.
- For the individuals who quit smoking effectively for a very long time, the odds of being a deep-rooted non-smoker increase, and smoking quit automatically.
- As indicated by the Boston University School of Dental Medicine, 80% of individuals who make it two years stay away for the indefinite future to smoking. At around five years, your danger of stroke is equivalent to a non-smoker’s.
- After 15 years of being smoke-free, your danger of stroke, lung cancer, and coronary illness will be about equivalent to individuals who won’t ever smoke.
What Can You Do To Improve Your Health Now In Covid-19?
Stopping smoking within a few months will improve the functionality of your lungs. If you receive COVID-19 it will reduce the likelihood of serious lung complications. There are many benefits to smoking outside of any link with COVID-19. Now is a good time for you to stop smoking.